Good early morning, everybody! It’s Jessica here with your Tuesday edition of the Austin Daily, filled with the most essential regional news and neighborhood updates– hot off the press!
Cozy up while we cover:
- It’s Runoff Election Day— and we have actually got you covered with a ballot guide.
- A cold front and rain are headed toCentral Texas
- The UT Basketball Head Coach has actually been jailed on a domestic violence charge
- Operation Blue Santa requires volunteers this Saturday!
- A brand-new celebration is headed to town— we have actually got the scoop.
But initially, today’s weather condition:
An early morning thunderstorm. High: 72 Low: 54.
Here are the leading stories today in Austin:
1) The University of Texas has actually formally suspended Chris Beard, the males’s head basketball coach, without pay. Beard was jailed Monday early morning on a third-degree felony domestic violence charge at a house in the Tarrytown location. UT reports that associate head coach, Rodney Terry, will work as acting head coach up until additional notification.The Texas Tribune has more on this story here
2) Happy Runoff Election Day! Neighbors, this is your last tip that this election consists of 4 vital races: Austin mayor and Austin City Council Districts 3, 5 and 9. KVUE has compiled a detailed election voter guide – check it out!
4) A week after a ransomware attack, the Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD) is totally back up and running. CBS Austin reports: “TCAD stated its phone service and online chat are back online after the December fifth attack. Property owners who require help can now get in touch with the District’s customer support department by means of both techniques throughout regular service hours.”Learn more about this story here at CBS Austin
5) Volunteers required: Austin Police Department’s “Operation Blue Santa” requires more volunteers to provide presents to households, this Saturday! APD likewise reported that more households have actually registered this year to get contributions, however less contributions have actually been gotten. KXAN reports: “Austin Police state usually, around 80% of households are “embraced,” indicating their presents are sponsored by people, households, or services. This year, however, just 17% have actually been embraced, or simply 320 households.”Head to KXAN to learn more about how you can donate to Operation Blue Santa and how you can volunteer this weekend
From our sponsor:
Today’s Austin Patch newsletter is brought to you in part by Vinovest, a user friendly platform that lets non-industry folks buy great red wine. Not just has great red wine exceeded the S&P 500 over the last 4 economic downturns, however it has a portion of the danger and volatility. It’s why the ultra-wealthy have actually bought great red wine for centuries. With Vinovest, now it’s your turn– click here to get started.
Today in Austin:
- 2022 Blue Genie Art Bazaar atBlue Genie Art Bazaar (10 a.m.)
- Austin Symphony Orchestra’s “Sounds of the Season” at Austin Public Library,Central Branch (12 p.m.)
- Kids Create at Austin Public Library,Howson Branch (3:30 p.m.)
- Ice Rodeo atThe Four Seasons Austin (4 p.m.)
- Peppermint Parkway at Circuit of theAmericas (6 p.m.)
- The Moth Mainstage atThe Paramount Theatre (7 p.m.)
- Mavis Staples with Bobby Rush atAntone’s (7 p.m.)
- 2023 Austin Trail of Lights atZilker Park (7 p.m.)
- A Merry-Achi Christmas at ACL Live atThe Moody Theater (8 p.m.)
- ✈ New flight alert: American Airlines revealed it’s including a non-stop path from Austin to Sacramento in May 2023. Pack your bags, next-door neighbors! (KXAN)
- A brand-new celebration is pertaining to town: “Antone’s and CBS Austin) are happy to provide the inaugural Austin Blues Festival on April 29, 2023, at at Waterloo Park!” The celebration lineup consists of: , ‘s Stax Revue, Band, ‘s Jaguar Sound, and much more! Tickets go on-sale thisFriday (
- East Austin restaurant, Hi-Hat, commemorates its 10th anniversary! Happy 10th Birthday Hi-Hat Team For those who have actually never ever been: Hi-Hat is my preferred “no muss, no hassle” area in the area to get brews and hamburgers with pals. (CBS Austin)
More from our sponsors– thanks for supporting regional news!
That’s it for today. I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow early morning with a brand-new upgrade!
— Jessica Collins
About me: Jessica enjoys to call Austin her house for the previous 10+ years. She likes the outdoors, arts & & movie theater, dining, and all of the natural appeal that Central Texas needs to use.
Have a news pointer or tip for an approaching Austin Daily? Contact me at DowntownAustin@patch.com